Based in Accra, Ghana, the Infrastructure Procurement Advisor will fill a senior technical role on Crown Agents’ value for money team with responsibility for structuring and delivering value for money assessments of contracts for infrastructure projects as well as delivering independent contract monitoring services.
The role will include technical assessments and reporting, presenting findings to clients and playing a lead role in value for money contract negotiations in support of the government.
Pre-Contract Value for Money Assessments
- Review the Bill of Quantities to check that it is adequate to correspond with the Employers Requirements (e.g. specifications and drawings)
- Review the conditions of contract relating to time control, payment and other commercial terms
- If necessary, identify the relevant conditions of contract that potentially alter the balance of risk and reward between Contractor and Employer and make recommendations to restore balance to the contract
- Evaluate the suitability and coherence of Employer’s Requirements for infrastructure development/construction projects
- Evaluate the completeness and responsiveness (to the Employer’s Requirements) of Contractors’ proposals for infrastructure development/construction projects
Independent Contract Monitoring
- Provision of technical guidance to and supervision of staff working to monitor the progress of work against the agreed Contractor’s Programme to pinpoint delays and if necessary, recommend measures to mitigate the delays, including reporting.
- Review interim payment certificates of the Contractor to ensure that these comply with the terms of the contract (retention money, advance payment, etc.)
- Review contract changes (variation orders, change orders), and requested extension of time from the Contractor
- Review technical and contract documentations in the course of the work to identify any issues which are not in compliance with relevant contract terms and conditions
- If necessary, undertake a site inspection to identify any defects in construction and check that the payment certificates correspond with the actual value of works completed.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrable experience of providing technical leadership on the procurement of public infrastructure projects involving international contractors – including: preparation of Employer’s Requirements; preparation of special conditions of contracts; preparation of bidding documents; technical evaluation of proposals. Experience in evaluation of commercial proposals will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrable experience of working with and applying FIDIC Conditions of Contract for Turnkey Projects (EPC) or other types of construction contracts (e.g. NEC)
- Demonstrable experience leading technical aspects of infrastructure contract negotiations, preferably in support of government clients working with private contractors.
- Skilled in report writing and presenting of complex information in a professional manner
- Previous experience in independently assessing the progress of civil works construction projects
- Familiarity with construction industry standards and specifications as applied in developing countries including Ghana will be considered an asset.
- Overall post graduate experience of at least 10 years in infrastructure procurement or construction contract management.
- Health infrastructure procurement or hospital construction management experience would be highly desirable
- A degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering or Architecture
- A degree in Contracts Law would be considered an asset
APPLICATION PROCESS (Crown Agents Job Vacancy)
CLOSING DATE: 29th October, 2021.